Sleeping positions

litlbit59

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
My 5 day old chicks have got me worried. First few days they would lay more uniform but now their laying in all different positions.Legs sticking out or head cocked in weird position. Looking retarded if you’ll excuse the expression. Is this a sign of something wrong.

The more experienced here will ask for pictures. It always helps.

I can't answer though as I haven't had chicks yet.... eat all the eggs so far. ;)

Nope. Chicks seem to have said thought process :

"I'm tired. Man, that flooring beneath me looks comfy... I really should curl up, but... nope." And then they just kinda fall over. It's rather amusing, they topple like they are passing out.

Only when they are adults to the way they sleep actually start to make sense.

Sorry didn't think of pictures, I panicked. Thank you for your timely response. I feel much better.

TCB. (typical chicken behavior) Wait till the first time you see them all laying out in the dirt on their sides, not moving with their eyes closed and their wings & legs stretched out in a dead like manner....

Mine were crazy sleepers. Legs sticking out all over the place, necks under wings or sticking straight out. Some would actually sleep standing
love.gif
The most fun I've had with my chickens is watching the babies sleep :)

Last edited:
Sunbathing is another one were they just don't look right.

Oh my gosh! Reading this post yesterday would have saved me a ton of stress! My month old chick was laying just like the guy in your first picture and I was so worried! He was even rolling around a bit and I thought he was just dust-bathing but then I tried to pick him up and set him on his feet and he just went straight back to the same posture! I thought his leg might be broken! The little bugger really had me going. Silly chicks!!

Back
Top Bottom