Sleeping quarter/Coop suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roobot5000, Feb 20, 2014.

1. roobot5000

roobot5000 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Hello BYC!

I have been very busy this past month rearing my 3 little girls from chicks successfully; with much thanks to the many threads on this website. With that said, I am now in the planning/pseudo building stages for their outdoor home.

Quick background: My wife and I purchased our home about a year ago and were lucky enough to have big cage like structures already installed in the back yard. The previous owner worked at the zoo/botanical garden/natural history museum here and rehabilitated orphaned bobcat cubs until they were mature enough to release back into the wild. I removed one cage that blocked our view of the mountains, but we kept the other because we knew we'd want chickens some day. Now that day is realized and the girls move out time is fast approaching.

The dimensions of the half of the cage dedicated to the girls is 15' x 12' and roughly 6 1/2 feet tall. The other half we have filled with raised beds for gardening. The structure has shade cloth along much of the top and a quarter of the sides. It still allows a decent amount of sun in throughout the day. The cage is made out of metal fencing posts, doubled up/reinforced chicken wire that makes up the entire structure, and an apron that is re-barbed and cemented into the ground. We have noticed two spots in the corners that have come loose and plan to address them prior to moving the girls out.

We have a compost bin inside the area where the girls will live because we want them to work the pile during the day. I want them to retain as much of the floor as possible and need help figuring out their night time housing, which is where all of your brains come into play. I want them to be safe at night, but don't want to spend a fortune to accomplish that. Any thoughts, input, and suggestions are very much welcomed!

(Below are a couple of pictures to get an idea of the cage and shading that is provided)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. calebc311

calebc311 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    East Bay California
    Having the run must be a great start!
    I'm also contemplating in what to do for my chickens once they have to move out. You should definitely not spend money on a coop as they are overpriced compared to the worth of the material that they give you. Try and have fun with architectural designs that are simple and fun. You could also build the coop inside since the fenced area is pretty big, or have it attached outside. I'm currently in the process of making a coop and run. If you want to save money, really try using reclaimed materials and DIY! Good Luck :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Adding your location to your profile will help folks give advice....much depends on climate.

4. roobot5000

roobot5000 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the suggestion, it is now updated.

5. roobot5000

roobot5000 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    I plan to build the coop inside the enclosure, just determining what would be the best setup is what has me stumped at the moment. Many coops have a run attached or the like and that's not what I need. I'm looking for something that stands a foot or so off the ground, that isn't too elaborate to build (I'm also not opposed to buying). I am handy, but do not have a ton of tools, just a Sawzall and power drill for wood working so that limits my options.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    In your climate you probably hardly need or want a coop, if your run is predator proof, because of the heat.

Look at open air coops:

advanced search>titles only>open air coop

7. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    This was our chicks first outside home. You could tuck it something like it in a corner. You may not be able to see that there is 1/4" hardware cloth on the windows. We also added plenty of bolts to hold it together. Yes, we all ready had the playhouse and the kids were happy to turn it over to the chicks. In the East Bay you may not even need this much, escaped cockatiels live in groups in the trees. I'm in Ventura County and now realize we way over built, yet I'm happy to know the girls are safe.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by