1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sleeping under the stars

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Johnboy78, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Johnboy78

Johnboy78 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Outside a week and a half and they have not gone into the coop to sleep. They bunch up in a corner of the run. Around eleven I block the corner with a lawn chair to protect them a little. One of the very few advantages to keeping chickens here is not many predators around. Any raccoons left when I got Xena, my first dobie, fifteen years ago. It's been a dobie yard since. Cats never come in the yard. Seen one opossum in 20 years. So I block them with a lawn chair.

I put them in the run and expected them to go into the coop. Well that didn't work because they're chicken. Took a few days before they would even jump on the bottom rung of the ladder. I finally lured Catwoman into the coop with waxworms. Two days later Yoko followed her in to go after the bribe.

So far the only ones who have not visited the coop's interior, or even the ladder, are the RIRs. All the rest have entered, scratched around, for at least a little while. I'm tempted stay with the status quo, see how long it takes them to go to bed where they should. After all they are programmed to seek out that kind of nighttime environment. But they are both chicken and birdbrains.

She is getting impatient. Tonight's the night they are to be "cooped up" for the night. By force. We can't let them roam until they want to return at night and that's not until they are in the habit of roosting in the coop and she's impatient for them to roam. (I just wandered out and found five taking a nap on the ground and three settled upstairs) I think they are just a few days from making the move on their own. Since She is stronger she will likely prevail.

2 RIRs Misty and Geena
    2 S/L Catwoman and Maybelline
    2 Hamburgs Ruby and Rorschach
    2 Yokohamas Yoko and Paulette

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Generally, when putting chicks/chickens into their new coops, you lock them up for a week or so, and then let them into the run. That way they have to learn what is home. Of course though, in tractor style coops, if there is an opton to sleep outside, they often will.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Hi, I'm an Eglu owner too. One thing with the youngins is you need to probably put something extra on the ladder. The rungs are too wide for the babies. Next, you should put your girls to bed manually for the first week or so until they get the hang of things. Then they will begin to put themselves to bed. They need to learn that the coop is their home so it's a good idea to put them in consistently. My girls learned the first night to go in, but I have a Go. If you have more questions about your coop specifically I'm happy to answer. Take care!

4. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California
    Hi ... I have a question for you Eglu Owners. I too am thinking of getting the Eglu Cube. If I buy the run with it, is there a door in the run, so I can get into the run to push the girls up the ladder and into the coop? Also, I want to make sure the run has a door just to make it easier for me to clean and put the food in and out etc. Is the run tall enough for an adult to enter and move around in there?

The photos on the Eglu website aren't clear enough for me to really see if the run has a door / doors or not.

Any cons to discuss about the Cube? How do you like the Go, ThinkingChickens?

Thx all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by