Sleeping while wet

Keen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
Australia
Hello everyone!

Having some bad wether at the moment, so of course while playing in the rain my 3 hens got very very wet.

They have all gone to bed now (coop is totally dry) however not in their usual places and they are still soaked. Since they arent in their usual spots they obviously arent too happy. It's not cold here, but I'm still worried for them.

Should I bring them inside and dry them off then put then back to sleep?

I wouldn't myself, in the summer. They might appreciate being a little cooler, since they have so much more trouble with heat than cold. Maybe it's just difficult for them to fly up to a roost while their feathers are wet.

Sounds like your in QLD like me. Shocking weather at the moment. I only have 2 hens currently and I had to temporarily house them in my bathroom because of the rain and 100 km/h winds! At least I can sleep knowing there safe albeit a bit wet. Yours should be fine. cheers.

Thank you! I will sleep a little better. I thought they would be ok, since there's no draughts in there, but it's always nice to hear from someone else!

As it is we are probably flooding soon, I'd hate to wake up to find them sick or worse!

H
Sounds like your in QLD like me. Shocking weather at the moment. I only have 2 hens currently and I had to temporarily house them in my bathroom because of the rain and 100 km/h winds! At least I can sleep knowing there safe albeit a bit wet. Yours should be fine. cheers.

Haha hello local friend! Yes Queensland, out Ipswich way, so bracing for the next few hours waiting to see how it will go. Bathroom was my next port of call for them! Hope all goes well for you and your girls!

Most of my adults sleep out in rain even during winter when temperatures approach and even drop below freezing. So long as inner feathers are dry no problems. This does not hold for breeds like silkies which do not properly shed water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom