Sleepy Chick. Narcolepsy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdilapi, Sep 1, 2014.

1. jdilapi

jdilapi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Its summer here, and the temps and humidity are all over the place. I don't have air conditioning, so my house temp varies a lot. Which is not good for keeping constant temp in some bators. I got home from work one day, and when chicks were ready to hatch, the temp in the bator was too high. I lost all but 2 eggs. So far one pipped, and I had to assist slowly due to malposition. He is the only one so far. He is now 3 days old and he seems healthy and happy except for the fact that he falls asleep so much, he doesnt eat or drink. I did the electrolyte recipe in the article "hatching 101", and fed him some. Then as soon as I could get to the farm supply store, I bought poultry nutri-drench. I have been giving him that a little at a time. The Temp on one side of brooder is 95. There water and chick starter available to him at all times. And i even ground up the chick starter and put some on the paper towel under the light, where he sleeps. I have set him in the ground on the ground up starter and pecked it with my finger, but he doesnt see me do it because hes already falling asleep. I made him eggs. Tried hand feeding. I get a little in his mouth...and he shakes it and falls back asleep. He walks a little bit, then falls asleep. If I pick him up, hes awake for 5 seconds, then falls asleep in your hand. Is he just extra weak from the bad incubation? Or is this normal? Is there anything else I can do to help this little guy? He's my only one so far and I really don't want to lose him. He came from our chickens so I'm pretty attached.

In the meantime, I did go buy a new bator. Something newer and better for my next set, with a turner so I don't have to worry about people doing it for me while I work, or temperature fluctuation.

Thanks so much

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like he may just be weak, possibly from the hard hatch. I'd continue what your you are doing for him.

Keep in mind that some chicks just aren't really meant to live. He could recover, but there may also be an internal problem that is causing him to be sleepy. All you can do is try to give him a chance to live.

Good luck with him! I hope he gets better.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. jdilapi

jdilapi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you for the kind words. I lost him today. It was so warm and muggy here. I don't think it helped. I saw him struggling And I don't think he knew enough to move out of the light. I picked him up to give him some electrolytes and he passed in my hand. Sad day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by