sleepy chick...reason to worry?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shakecc, Jun 28, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I picked my day old chicks up on Thursday. I noticed around 2:00 one of my sex links has been sleeping more than normal. I woke him up about a hour ago and walked over and ate some food (medicated chick starter), but just looked in again and he is down sleeping again while the others are pecking around. His vent looks normal. Should I be concerned or is there anything else I can check?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    New chicks will eat, drink, cheep, poop and sleep. It's what they do. It's all they do.

Try to keep an eye on it for an extended period of time. Really watch to see how much it is eating and drinking. It may not be sleeping as much as you think it is.

3. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    This batch of 20 chicks I got, sleep more than others I have ever had! I think its the heat of summer.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are like new born babies. They do sleep alot.

Follow kiljonma's advise - make sure it is eating and drinking and pooping.

You can even add a little apple cidar vinegar to the water for a little boost and feed a little bit of yogurt with crumbles sort of dissolved in it - make a mush.

5. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

When I received my five chicks from My Pet Chicken they peeped loudly, and were quite active. They ate and drank well, and I had no worries. Then a few days later I noticed the Blue Cochin was sleepy and didn't seem to be eating, nor was she as active as the other chicks.
    I put a bit of PolyViSol infant vitamins in the dropper and filled the rest with water. Twice that evening I put her on my lap, dribbled the water onto the side of her beak and she drank quite a bit altogether. After the second time of the water, I noticed her eating again.
    The next day she was quite back to normal. She had watery poops, but after eating, that became normal, also.

I really think if I hadn't given her the water, she would have eventually died. It's as if she was tired and sleepy, and couldn't get the proper food/hydration she needed.

Carla

6. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Thanks everyone...he has been eating and drinking fine all evening and just finished participating in a game of chase after the chick that managed to rip a tiny piece of paper towel off. The all ran after him. To funny! Now I need to peel myself away from the brooder and head to bed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by