Sleepy chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CJD, Mar 30, 2007.

1. CJD

CJD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    I have a 2 week old white cochin chick, and I think something's wrong with her. For the last 6 or 7 days, she's been just laying there in the bedding with her eyes closed, and would limp when she walked. She would walk a few steps, then lay down again. The other chicks aren't picking on her, and they're even laying by her (maybe they know something's wrong?). If I put her on a hard surface, she can stand just fine, but she seems to have problems on the pine shavings. If I pick her up, she will lay down in my hand. She also wouldn't open one eye for a while, but that seems to have cleared up.

she is eating and drinking, and she's been vaccinated.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    If she was vaccinated for Marecks then that could be the problem and there isn't a thing you can do but keep her comfortable and provide supportive care and hope she recovers.

3. CJD

CJD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Maybe that was it. She's really perked up, and while she still lays down a lot, she's up eating and drinking much more than she was.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by