Sleepy Chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chattchick, Jul 25, 2013.

1. chattchick

chattchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Hi. I am hoping someone can help me. I have "babysat" baby chicks for friends before but now have 4 of my own. They are 3 weeks old. There is one that sleeps more than the others, especially during the day. Today I watched it sleep standing up (and on one leg) while the others walked around, chirping. The sleepy one has been eating and drinking but is not as active as the others. Could this sleepy chick be sick and if so what could be the cause?

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]Hope someone can give you some advice. Glad to have you on the site!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] actually the symptoms are too vague to know. Has this chick been less active from the start? Is he suddenly getting sleepier? Do you feed your chicks any treats, like meal worms etc? I'm wondering if he gets more active if something interests him. Have you checked him over for mites/lice? How are his poo poos? Does he get peppier if you hold him, or take him away from the others(short periods)?

You could post on the "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread.

4. chattchick

Jul 25, 2013
    Hi. The baby chick has been getting sleepier even just compared to yesterday to this morning. The others were awake and running around in their brooder pecking at the chick starter food and the other chick was in the corner, under the heat lamp sleeping. I don't see any mites or lice. I don't feed them any treats, just the chick starter food. I have been taking the baby chick out to hold once in a while and it does the same thing...sleeps. Once in a while it gets a burst of energy and will peck for the food or drink water but it goes for water more than food so I don't think it's really eating as well. This morning I took it out to try to hand feed it and it pooped (more like pee'd) a clear liquid with some white strands in it. Would vitamin drops help? Is it too late for this one?

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  6. chattchick

Jul 25, 2013
    What's a weak constitution? I feel bad because I feel as if it's dieing a slow death.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC, I would definitely post on the Emergencies thread, good luck.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. chattchick

Jul 25, 2013
    Thank you everyone. Unfortunately the baby chick died today.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! I'm sorry for your loss! :'(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by