Sleepy chicken disease?

AmazingRachel

Songster
Mar 10, 2017
Westchester, NY
6 month old Cream Legbar pullet is sickish. I say sickish because she doesn't have mucus buildup, fever, or anything. She just seems very tired. Basically yesterday and today, she stands in one spot, puffs up a bit and sleeps. When she wakes up, she'll walk around very slowly and then sleep standing up again. I gave her a couple drops of Poultry Aid orally (I know it's used for just respiratory but I figured that it wouldn't hurt) and have given her electrolyte/probiotic laced water. She is in a cage in the run so she can have personal access to the water.
Any clues? Her sister had the same thing a couple days ago but it passed quickly and it wasn't as bad. My grandma suspects it's digestive or stress from the changing seasons type thing.
Her symptoms remind me of when I had mononucleosis in terms of extreme fatigue.

She sounds like she might have coccidiosis, an intestinal disease. Can you get some Corid from your feed store and start some in the water? Coccidiosis can cause runny or bloody poops, poor appetite, standing around puffed up or hunched, and lethargy. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Until then, get her drinking some fluids.

She sounds like she might have coccidiosis, an intestinal disease. Can you get some Corid from your feed store and start some in the water? Coccidiosis can cause runny or bloody poops, poor appetite, standing around puffed up or hunched, and lethargy. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Until then, get her drinking some fluids.
I was suspecting coccidia but her poop isn't bloody and her feathers are neat. I think it is coccidia though due to the textbook sleeping-standing-up stance, so I'm going to get some Corid. Is Corid 20% ok/same dossage as you mentioned?

Dosage for 20% powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Make fresh daily, and give for 5 - 7 days. That should be the only water they have available during treatment.

Dosage for 20% powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Make fresh daily, and give for 5 - 7 days. That should be the only water they have available during treatment.
Ok, thank you so much. I just got off the phone with a local Tractor Supply and I had to fully explain what the stuff was and that it wasn't an antibiotic *sigh*. Luckily they had one packet left and I'll be picking it up tonight. Just to confirm, it's this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/corid-20-amprolium-soluble-powder-10-oz?cm_vc=-10005

Back
Top Bottom