Sleepy Chicken

brittanylynn

Hatching
Jul 30, 2016
I have a Polish Wyandotte mix hen. I got her about a month ago. She has not laid a single egg yet and she was laying at the previous owners. in the last week she has been sleeping a lot even right away in the morning, she will even sleep standing up. she will go in the yard with the other girls and Roo and peck around. I see her eating and drinking all the time. I have also noticed her feathers in the nesting box. I know its Molting Season. do you think its just molting or something more serious?

1, polish are not great layers. My Polish has not laid an egg since the end of July. I probably won't get an egg from her until the end of March or even April. 2, she probably is molting.3, she may still be stressed from the move. Focus on good care and nutrition. She may resume laying after molt, and she may not.
It might be spring before you see eggs from her.
How old is she? That will pay a roll as well.

I have a Polish Wyandotte mix hen. I got her about a month ago. She has not laid a single egg yet and she was laying at the previous owners. in the last week she has been sleeping a lot even right away in the morning, she will even sleep standing up. she will go in the yard with the other girls and Roo and peck around. I see her eating and drinking all the time. I have also noticed her feathers in the nesting box. I know its Molting Season. do you think its just molting or something more serious?
Welcome to BYC!
How old is she?
If around 18 months, give or take a couple months, she may be molting.

Did you do a proper bio quarantine?
Probably not and she may be fighting off the new organisms she's being exposed to in your existing flock.

Just the stress of moving can put them off laying...molting birds do often rest more.

Her sister moved here with her and I get a egg almost every day. They are Polish, Wyandotte mix. I don't really know how old she is but her sister was molting and now shes back to laying eggs. I brought her in the house, put a kennel in the mud room and shes in there. I gave her Organic feed, and electrolytes in her water.

Her sister moved here with her and I get a egg almost every day. They are Polish, Wyandotte mix. I don't really know how old she is but her sister was molting and now shes back to laying eggs. I brought her in the house, put a kennel in the mud room and shes in there. I gave her Organic feed, and electrolytes in her water.
She's with her sister in the mud room?

Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Poultry Biosecurity
BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Back
Top Bottom