1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sleepy chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haralsonfarm, Aug 25, 2013.

1. haralsonfarm

haralsonfarm New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Washougal, WA
    We have six 5 1/2 month old chickens, one of whom is always sleeping now. I've read through a number of posts here, and just wanted to see if there was anything else out there. Other than randomly falling asleep anywhere, and resting on the roost inside the coop when everyone else is outside, she seems fine. I can't find any signs of trouble near her vent, don't feel any swelling or excess heat anywhere, etc.

None of the girls has laid an egg this week - but were beginning to lay prior to that - but that is the only other thing that's been going on in the coop.

I'd appreciate any ideas or insight! Thank you!!

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    There's something wrong if she is doing that. It could be a lot of things but I would put her in a pen or cage away from the others for starters and make sure she is eating and drinking well. if there are no other visible symptoms, you might try treating her for coccidiosis (amprol in her water for five days or at the very least medicated chick starter, which contains amprol). Other things that might cause that are fairly easy to treat are parasites...lice, mites or worms. Check for those. What is the history of your chickens? Where did you get them, what breed and sex are they, etc. You could check with wherever you got them from to see if there has been a problem initiating there.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    5.5 months old is just the beginning of the laying cycle for some breeds. That could be why they are inconsistent in laying. But just keep an eye on them all because chickens conceal symptoms of illness.

4. haralsonfarm

haralsonfarm New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Washougal, WA
    Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it!

We got 6 of the girls (including the sleepy one) from a great local farm store as chicks, and the younger ones from another about a month ago. All of them are girls, and a variety of breeds - Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, Buff Wyandotte, Australorp, Mottled Java, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. The sleepy hen is the Silver Laced. I'll check with both of the stores and see if anything is going on that they've heard of.

I'll also do some mite and lice checks, and barring anything else, will start the amprol.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    good luck then. Don't waste any time checking it out though, and make sure the sleepy one is eating and drinking. You can try to tempt her with a little goodies on her food, they like moist food when they are sick (just a little moist) and cooked oatmeal, scrambled eggs chopped berries or fruit, banana, yogurt, cottage cheese, chopped tomato are all good toppers. Or anything that they like, as long as it's in moderation and given with their regular food.

6. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    How's she going? I have one About the same age that is sleeping all the time but has been since he was a chick and it only just occurred to me that something may be wrong :-\

7. haralsonfarm

haralsonfarm New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Washougal, WA
    We did treat with amprol, and that seeemed to clear everything up. She's been fine since. I hope yours is ok as well!

8. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    That's great :) thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by