Sleepy, droopy chicken

Whitney

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Your thoughts, please??

My chicken hasn't been doing so well the past 4 days, and now I'm wondering if her sister is starting to behave the same way. I isolated them from the rest of the crew.

Here are the stats:

1.5 year old sussex--Ive had her for a year. I added 13 new chickens a month ago.
She's abnormally sleepy and lethargic
Might be starting molting
Eating and drinking small amounts (her crop feels hard)
Stools are green with lots of plant material. Output seems reduced.
Fecal sample showed no sign of parasites
No egg can be felt (I have no idea when she laid her last)
She does have her tail down (not quite like a penguin), but just droopy. I've given her a couple of warm baths and a heat lamp in case of being egg bound.
I found some lice on her today. I don't think it's a heavy infestation, but I certainly saw a number of adults. I treated all the birds with coconut oil (something I read on this website.)
No mucous or sneezing
She eats an organic layer, some wild bird seed mix for treats,veggie table scraps and free ranges 3 hours a day.

If she isn't doing any better in the morning, what should I try next? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the reply. I just read up on impacted crops and went out to massage hers and now it's not hard! Her breath isn't sour smelling either.

I'm a fairly new at keeping chickens, and wow, the experience is teaching me a lot!

So it's not her crop...

So I just checked on them again, and now the other one sounds like she is purring, so I'm thinking maybe a respiratory thing?

inform us if she starts showing a respiratory problem, sniffs, nasal drip, open mouth breathing ...

Thanks, everyone for your replies. The original sleepy chicken is still a little off (ruffled feathers at times and a little sleepy) but overall she seems better. Her weight is the same, and she is eating and drinking.

The other hen who was purring at night (maybe this is a normal sound for her when sleepy?) seems sleepy now and eating, although not showing her normal interest in food. She was pecking around in my garden and yard with some napping. She and the other hen skipped dinnertime and roosted early.

Another hen, a 6 mo barred rock, was acting sleepy today, although still eating with the others. She seemed to be running a bit crooked today.

These hens that have been acting sleepy were joined up with nine new hens about a month ago. Now I remember that one of the new girls, an americauna, was acting sleepy when we brought her home. I didn't think much of it (wow, I've learned ALOT in the last few days!), but she seemed to recover from whatever it was (within a week of having her) and is acting very normal.

I've been giving them some yogurt with b vitamins, some garlic water, and some millet and BOSS. I'll add some eggs tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom