sleepy head chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deepbluesea, Aug 27, 2014.

1. deepbluesea

deepbluesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    coastal NC
    So this morning I go to let the girls out into their run. They come out as normal and begin to peck and eat food, etc. I went back into the house and when I came out again, they'd all gone back into the coop and were roosting.

This was all at about 6:30 before work. Are they just imitating my tween and sleeping late? Is that normal?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think it depends on what the weather is like. I have a few early risers, but my buff orps have been roosting later into the morning. I think because fall is approaching they're starting to settle in. They've been going in a few minutes earlier in the evening as well.

I'm not sure how it is by you, but I think when the days start to shorten they'll roost a little more.

3. deepbluesea

deepbluesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    coastal NC
    Thanks! I'm in NC, and this is the first time all summer I was able to sleep with the windows open, so maybe that's it.

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    That makes sense. They must feel relaxed and they're taking advantage of the moment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by