Sleepy hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alleybetty, Apr 30, 2016.

1. alleybetty

alleybetty New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Dear BYC members,
    I've just joined BYC[​IMG]
    I bought a 10 month Marans pullet yesterday. She Is behaving quite normal except she shuts her eyes a lot throughout the day. Her eyes looks tired. She scratched, ate and drank normally. She was roosting in the Chook house last night so I wasn't concerned. I haven't seen this kind of behaviour in the last 3 years of keeping hens. I am concerned she might have a contagious disease and infect my other hens. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] I hope you are keeping her away from the rest of your flock? It sounds like something may be amiss with her, but I'm unsure what.. I think you should post some pics and more details in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum section. Hope it's nothing serious!

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

New chickens should be isolated from your existing flock for 30 days before mixing them together. That gives you a chance to see if they have any illnesses or pests. I would remove her from the other birds right away.

Checking in with the emergency/illness forum would be helpful in figuring out what is going on with her.

Good luck, hope she'll be ok!

1 person likes this.
  4. alleybetty

alleybetty New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. alleybetty

alleybetty New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Her right eye doesn't look brilliant
    [​IMG]

6. alleybetty

alleybetty New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    left eye looks better
    [​IMG]

7. alleybetty

alleybetty New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Her right eye does look a bit odd
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Something's not right with that eye, no. It could be a number of things and I'm no eye expert, so I'm going to move this thread to the Emergencies section, so we can get a more experienced member or two's view on this.

1 person likes this.
  9. alleybetty

alleybetty New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    She had been frolicking quite happily today apart from sleeping frequently
    [​IMG]

10. alleybetty

alleybetty New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    sorry to double up on the photos. These 4 hens are together because they are from the same owner. I wonder if I should isolate her from even her own group. I do have a rabbit hutch to contain her within the Chook run. Thanks for all the feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by