Sleepy Hen

Michele-m

Hatching
Dec 11, 2018
Hi all,
I have a 1 year old old australorp hen who seems to sleep a lot!

For the last few months she seems to always be resting away from the flock but when you wake her up she runs around like normal.

As we have a few hens I’m unsure if she is still laying or what colour her dropping’s are.

She seems to be eating and drinking well.

Her crop is slightly pale.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Hi Michelle,

Have you checked for lice/mites?

It could make a big difference to know how much she is pooping and what it looks like.
Have you considered getting a fecal sample tested?

You said she seems to be eating and drinking, are you sure? A sick chicken will pretend to eat to mask their weakness so it would be worth watching closely. What does she get to eat?

When you say her crop is pale, do you mean her comb (on her head)? Could be time of year if she is moulting or off lay for the winter.

Her crop is down on the right side of her chest. It should be filling during the day IF she is eating, and NEEDS to be empty by the morning - which should be checked too.

I think I would try rule out lice/mites, then probable cage her within the coop for closer observation.

Would it be possible to post some photos of your girl here?

there are a number of thing could be wrong so maybe with more details we can all help narrow it down.

Hi Michelle,

Have you checked for lice/mites?

It could make a big difference to know how much she is pooping and what it looks like.
Have you considered getting a fecal sample tested?

You said she seems to be eating and drinking, are you sure? A sick chicken will pretend to eat to mask their weakness so it would be worth watching closely. What does she get to eat?

When you say her crop is pale, do you mean her comb (on her head)? Could be time of year if she is moulting or off lay for the winter.

Her crop is down on the right side of her chest. It should be filling during the day IF she is eating, and NEEDS to be empty by the morning - which should be checked too.

I think I would try rule out lice/mites, then probable cage her within the coop for closer observation.

Would it be possible to post some photos of your girl here?

there are a number of thing could be wrong so maybe with more details we can all help narrow it down.

Oops yes I meant her comb!
I can’t see any mites or lice but gave her a good dusting of lice powder a couple of weeks ago to rule that out.

I have spent a bit of time watching her and she is definitely eating and drinking and her crop is full at night (empty in the morning)

I’m in Australia so it’s summer here and the ladies are in full swing laying their eggs

Oops yes I meant her comb!
I can’t see any mites or lice but gave her a good dusting of lice powder a couple of weeks ago to rule that out.

I have spent a bit of time watching her and she is definitely eating and drinking and her crop is full at night (empty in the morning)

I’m in Australia so it’s summer here and the ladies are in full swing laying their eggs

Good you treated for lice/mites, what product did you use?

Can you feel her underside, from underneath her vent down to between her legs - I am wondering if she is having issues laying. You want to see if her belly feels like a balloon, or/and very hot, hard and enlarged or soft and squishy?
Have you ever checked to see if there is an egg in the vent?

Can you try see what her poop is like? It can tell a lot at times.
Have you a way of separating her within the coop?

Good you treated for lice/mites, what product did you use?

Can you feel her underside, from underneath her vent down to between her legs - I am wondering if she is having issues laying. You want to see if her belly feels like a balloon, or/and very hot, hard and enlarged or soft and squishy?
Have you ever checked to see if there is an egg in the vent?

Can you try see what her poop is like? It can tell a lot at times.
Have you a way of separating her within the coop?

I can’t remember the brand, it was the common one from the local stockfeed.

Her belly is soft and squishy.

I’ve managed to get a photo of her pop, I’ll try and figure out how to upload it!

Back
Top Bottom