sleepy, lethargic

photophreek

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
Hi,
I'm looking for some information regarding one of my hens. She looks sleepy all the time and when she lays down she looks dead! Sometimes she doesn't wake up until I pick her up. She eats and drinks water and will be up and about with the others for a short while but then lays down and falls asleep! Any ideas? I just noticed this yesterday after I found a dead chicken in the coop. I have a mix of Rhode Island reds, Black Sex Links and the black and white ones that I can't think of the name of!

Sounds like lethargy, or general tiredness. I know many things can cause this, and would be concerned about what your other chicken died of being what this one has maybe?

My girly had lethargy about a month ago, along with other symptoms, and it turned out to be worms. A good dose of worming solved her problems.

Does she have any other symptoms?

Ellie

I just noticed a few minutes ago that her wattle has yellow "bursts" on them. She seems a bit more lively this afternoon as she has been out and about all day away from the rest of the chickens so maybe I will keep her "quarantined" for a while and see how she does. I am in Florida and we have been in our rainy season and the coop has developed a bad roof leak. I have a bucket to catch the water but sometimes it rains so long and hard that it overfills the bucket and the coop gets wet. Thinking that might have something to do with it?

I think heavy parastie burden can cause paler combs, may be the yellow patches your seeing? Have they been wormed recently?

By the way, I'm no expert, just going on previous experiences I've had, so wait for one of the more experienced members to chip in for a more definite diagnosis :p

Hello again,
Just an update.
Clarice(the chicken I have been writing about) seems to be doing Ok. I have her away from the other birds so I can monitor her better. I noticed that she poops but it is the size of rabbit pellets so I have been feeding her wheat bran with mineral oil the last couple of mornings. She looks forward to it. She poops more now, but still not very large. She is up and around more, not quite so "lazy". She seems to enjoy the extra attention and being out of the chicken yard. Have not found any eggs so wondering if egg bound and what to look for and what to do?
Christi

Back
Top Bottom