Sleepy or sick?

Ferrret

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Michigan
I have 6 chicks, all bought from a small bird and game swap from 3 different people. They were all gotten last Saturday. Three silkies are all from one seller, one EE from another and one EE and a brahma from the last seller.

The EE we got with the brahma has spent nearly all day asleep, and for the past few days she has been the peppier of the chicks, running around and peeping like crazy at a moments notice. I have gotten her to wake up and drink some water but I have yet to see her eat. She has pooped a couple times, and nothing looked abnormal. All of the other chicks are doing well, just this one chick is always drooping her head and wings and falling asleep. When she's awake, her reactions are a bit delayed and she seems to be unsteady on her feet, stumbling a little and if I gently nudge her awake she sometimes topples over. This morning when I checked up on the chicks, she was turned over almost on her back sleeping.

The EE's and one silkie I think are about a 1 to 1 1/2 weeks old, while the brahma and the 2 other silkies seem to be 2 to 2 1/2 weeks old.
I have her in a separate box in the brooder right now, just in case she is sick. I was in chat earlier and talked to a few people who think she might just be a sleepy chick and may need some vitamins or maybe some yogurt to help her pep up.

Any ideas on this sleepy chick? Is she just tired, or could she be sick? What should I do in either case?

Try getting some infant vitamins without iron, or get some electrolyte powder from a farm supply store. If the chick is sick, it may help, and if it's not sick, it won't hurt. Hope your baby is ok.

She didn't make it.
I'm going to keep an eye on the other chicks, and so far they are all doing well.
They are all getting a pinch vitamin/electrolyte powder in their water just in case.

Back
Top Bottom