Sleepy or sick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blondie654, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Blondie654

Blondie654 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie and hope someone can help. My family and i purchased a couple of hens from a garden centre 3 days ago. All is going well but one does not know how to use the ladder up to bed and i have to go pick her up and put her to bed. Usually they are quite wary of people but tonight she just stood there.. i could not reach her properly under the arch so had to hook my fingers around her chest area and gently push her towards me. She was not at all bothered by my presence and treatment.. when i put her down to open the top she just squatted and laid on the ground.. i expected her to run away in the very least??
    Was she half asleep and uncaring or maybe a little sick?
    She seems to be eating ok and wondering around my small garden during the day with the others.

Any thoughts? Thank you

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    When you were handling her, was it already dark out? If I try to handle my chickens at night after they've gone to sleep they're completely immobile. If a hen was acting like that during the day time, I'd be concerned about her health, but it sounds like she's behaving normally when she's awake.

3. Blondie654

Blondie654 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    thanks for that.. i was worried!
    It was twilight but the others had gone off to bed, she cannot seem to understand the ladder lol. She comes down in the mornings but not up at night!
    I will keep an eye tomorrow just in case but at least i can sleep without worrying to much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by