Sleepy turkey. Sick?? or just sleepy?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CentralKYRedneck, Aug 6, 2010.

1. CentralKYRedneck

CentralKYRedneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Madison Co.
    I have 5 turkeys about 3 1/2 months old. They were in an elevated cage til yesterday when i decided they needed more room. i moved them to a big covered pen (with a roost pole) in the yard yesterday. One of them is really sleepy today and now its dark and she wont roost. She seems really healthy but she wants to sleep on the ground. Is this something to be worried about? Thanks

2. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Sounds more like an adjustment issue than anything else. I had the same thing when I moved my poults from a the small brooder to a larger one in the garage. They acted like they were dying. Flopping over and such. Just put her on the roost if you can. if it's warm there don't worry too much about it. She should be fine, but watch her. If she is still stressed tomorrow give her some electrolytes with vitamins and maybe some sugar water to perk her up. Don't mess with her too much. Let her rest and adapt to her new environment.

3. CentralKYRedneck

CentralKYRedneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Madison Co.
    Well it died today. It looked healthy even after it was dead. I wonder if maybe it got bit by something. We have copperheads, rattlesnakes, and even scorpions around here. Oh well... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by