Sleet/winter weather

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Matula4, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Matula4

Matula4 New Egg

May 30, 2013
    I'm in the Houston, Texas area and typically we have mild winters. In fact yesterday we had sunny and 70+* weather. Starting tonight we are expecting "wintery mix/sleet" thru tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do to protect my chickens? I have a small coop (holds 10), there is a vent across one side near the roof but also near the roost. There's another vent at the end of the coop near the roof. Should I cover the larger one? Also, do I let them out as normal in the morning or leave them in?

Thanks for all y'all's help.
    Crystal

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would definitely let them out and choose where they want to be. I never close mine in. We really don't have much weather down here that is winter to a chicken, if any. They have good down coats. I'd be much more worried about humidity building up in the coop at below freezing temps, which is what causes frostbite. They will appreciate if there is no draft on their roost but given the choice, would probably choose even a draft over frostbite.

My coop is large and quite open to the air. There is definitely air movement around their roosts, though I block off one open air wall to minimize the force of winds on the roost. They could go hunker down in straw in another, less "airish" spot if they wanted to, but they never do.

3. Matula4

Matula4 New Egg

May 30, 2013
    Thank you, Judy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by