Sliced Gut while Processing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Reurra, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    So i slaughtered 4 of my birds today. All seemed to go well until the last bird which was a hen. (these are CX)

The other 3 were boys and seemed a lot tougher, but the girl seemed much softer. She was easier to kill (Break neck)

Anyhow, while gutting her out, I had the tail and vent attached and hanging from her cavity, meanwhile I detached the esophagus and crop on the other end. the idea was to pull the gut out the back and have the crop and esophagus trail through and out the back. Ive done it a dozen times with no trouble.

However, this time, this bird seemed more fragile than the 3 boys. The crop broke I think, because I got a trail of what looked like freshly eaten crumble spilled out into her cavity. (She was sneaky and while grabbing her from the tractor, made a bee-line for the feeder outside the coop. She got a few mouthfuls in before I grabbed her and took her out back)

It was not green like poop, however, I rinsed her off really well, washed her in cool water after skinning her, and bagged her.

Should I be severely concerned about this?

Also with one of the boys, I nicked the gut with my knife, but did not spill any of the fecal matter onto any of the carcass. Should it be OK? Or are both birds spoiled and have to be tossed?

Ive never had an accident before while processing, but today I was super tired from work and not very steady handed.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    They both will be fine. You rinsed them well, and you are going to cook them, so even if there were bacteria, they would be killed.

1 person likes this.
  3. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    What a relief! I hate wasting food! And all the money and effort into raising them, what a waste to throw it out!

I was thinking of soaking them in a salt water solution before cooking too, just to be sure!

4. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I am quite sure that at the poultry processing plant that they are not 100% perfect when they are gutting the birds. Do you think they would discard those birds and cut into their profit margin? NOT!!!![​IMG]

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I agree they will be fine, I have been putting my birds in a salt and brownsugar brine over night, add some herbs and garlic too.
    makes a good chicken even better[​IMG]

6. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I skinned all my birds, but I have a friend who wants one so I left the skin on it. Its not very pretty skin. Kinda yellow and leathery [​IMG] I dont know how to pretty up chicken skin! [​IMG]

I have 3 cockerels from another batch of birds, they are 3 month old birds. How should I prepare them? They are not as meaty or as large as the CX.

7. bowhunter862

bowhunter862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Hazelton, WV
    Kinda yellow and leathery, huh? Yep, that's a heritage bird. You ain't "prettyin' up" that skin ever. HA!! Whatever you do to prepare them, the skin will be like a scuba diving suit and the meat will be tough unless it spends the day in the crock pot. Some folks like that that tougher and, I'm told, more flavorful bird, but not me. I'll never raise anything but CX for meat again.

8. bowhunter862

bowhunter862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Hazelton, WV
    Oh, and to add my opinion to the actual person that started this thread, I'd hose it off and eat it. Of course I'm a farm raised boy that took many a supper while in the barn milking so I may not be the best role model. :)

9. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by