Sliced lemons keeps the water cleaner!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenpiedpiper, Feb 20, 2009.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Ok, heres a wierd one! I have been having problems with my well this winter, our water doesnt smell good. We have had it tested, and are going to have to dig a new well come spring. In the mean time, we can use the water, its not dangerous, just smelly!

Well, I was not happy giving this smelly water to my animals, (dogs, cats, and chickens) but not willing to buy bottled water. Soo, one day I was looking at all the lemons that I had been given by our local grocer in our various bags of chicken freebies, and tried an experiment. [​IMG]

I sliced up the lemons, and put a few pieces in each waterer, and the dogs bowl. Boy the chickens love it! I try not to make it too strong, just a wiff of lemon when you smell the water, but they just go right for it!

Great side effect too,,,, The waterers dont get that nasty green buildup, or nasty dirty/old water smell! Now I can clean and refill thier waters every other day instead of every day! Saves time in my chores!

I have talked to a few people, and cant think of any drawbacks, and the animals sure seem to appreciate it! Any one else ever had this experience?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Smart!! if you think it is working I don't see a problem, Citris is not normally a puotry favorite but just that little diluted amount I think is fine. good job, hope your well thing works out.

AL

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

What type of waterer? If it's galvanized, the acidity will eventually dissolve the coating which makes the zinc and other stuff leach into the water (and the waterer will rust)...

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What BeardedChick said. Make sure you're not acidifying water in a *galvanized* water, it can lead to heavy-metal poisoning. In a plastic waterer is fine though.

Good luck with your well problem,

Pat

5. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    oh, yeah, sorry, we only have plastic waterers!

Thanks for the heads up on that tho!

6. flagday76

flagday76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Carthage NY
    I think this sounds like a great idea! Ditto on the galvanized water, but plastic or glass would be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by