Slick Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birch Run Farm, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    This could have been a sad story, I have had some before for not acting.

So I had a batch of seven true araucana eggs in the bator as I had no broody willing to work. Their parents are both bilaterally tufted so the hatch rate was going to be low.

Hatching day came and one chick popped out fine. One more pipped but was stuck in the shell and I could hear another in a third egg. It too pipped but got stuck. My Incubator always seem to have an issue with a few chicks at hatching getting too dry even though I add water.

So in the past I did not help the chicks and they died. This time I helped and though they were weaker and slow to start from exhaustion I can safely say they are going to make it now that they have passed a week and a half of some extra care.

[​IMG]

I think these are all girls, their combs have no visible rows like a little cockerel would. I am glad I helped, look at the tufted one, she is going to have huge tufts! She would have died if left stuck in the shell.

Normally when a hen broods she shuffles and adjusts her eggs underneath and this movement assists hatching chicks. Ever put your hand under a good broody? Do so and you'll feel that she 'hugs' the clutch with her wings and also uses her breast to move the eggs around.

[​IMG]

So the tufted chick was the slowest to respond and it was touch and go getting her to eat and drink. I ended up making a very wet mash with added sugar and very sugary water with a touch of vitamin. At first I had to use an eye dropper for her then she began devouring wet mash. It worked! These chicks look better by the day and are completely normal. The larger one is completely black, middle chick is red and black and her wing feathers have some brown partridge type coloring so far. Small chick is black.

The small chick was so piggy she got her rear toes stuck and kept falling over backwards and could not get up. I didn't know the toes had stuck and was thinking she was not going to make it and then saw the problem. Poor thing! Anyway, solved.

The smaller tufted chick is catching up to her sisters and she is the first one to the food bowl when the wet mash comes in for a treat. In one of the photos you can see there is food stuck all over her, little piggo! Small chick is gaining weight and now actually setting well on her feet.

They are all on dry mash and drinking on their own.

I'll assist again after this experience.

2. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    cute little guys! we all need a little assistance now and then:p

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Those are really adorable. I am going to have to read more about hatching eggs. This hobby is becoming increasingly expensive. [​IMG]

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    They are due for an update photo this weekend but they are becoming piggo fatbutts! I might be able to move them in with my older red star chicks soon. [​IMG]

5. Tootsie

Tootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Very nice story Ann, thanks for sharing it with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by