Slide in truck bed camper coop (picture heavy!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SCWFarms, Feb 14, 2015.

1. SCWFarms

SCWFarms Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2015
    When I was trying to design my coop, I decided to use an old truck bed camper that I had. In my search for examples, i found quite a few descriptions of how people had converted truck bed campers into coops, but I had a hard time finding pictures of them. I'm a very visual person, so I thought I would post some pictures of mine here so that others can get ideas and perhaps give me pointers on how to improve mine. I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress as mine changes.

My camper is a 14 ft which had a bathroom area. Here are some 'before' pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took out the front wall of the bathroom and put nesting boxes in it with roost bars at the top.
    [​IMG]

The camper also had a bunkbed frame over the dining are that I put roost bars on. With nesting boxes underneath.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took out the sink and put a tote in the cabinet with a pvc pipe leading to the feeder for an auto feeder which holds 50 lbs of feed.
    [​IMG]

I originally used the over-the-cab area for storage, but I opened it up for chicken use when the weather got cold because I wanted to put a heated water dish in the coop.
    [​IMG]

I'm still experimenting with different types of nesting boxes. The black storage bins are a favorite as well as the cubby where the oven used to be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just found a hidden nest in one of the cupboards (which I've been planning to take out and replace with roost bars).
    [​IMG]

Here are some pics of the outside too. I have horses who like to get into the run and eat on the flock block, so the railroad tie blocks the door from opening and allowing them in. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put an automatic door in last fall.

I'm planning to use the camper's water tank to set up a nipple watering system in the run.
    Let me know what you think and how I could improve it!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I have made suggestions in the past for peeps to convert travel trailers as an alternative to building a coop from ground up. Also suggested to keep it mobile in case they changed their mind on location. Wet area, no shade, too close or too far from whatever, and on. In your case you have to stay stationary. Here are the advantages. 1) insulated. 2) instant 3) low budget 4) waterproof 5)windows for summer ventilation. You do need to add winter grade vents. 6)many others too trivial to list.

One small suggestion for your coop is : use existing cabinets as nesting boxes. They don't have to be in a certain area or in a row. Diversity is OK. Just remember to check all spots not to miss any eggs. Not a big issue. You will notice there are some that get a lot of use, and some none.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]
    And another thought. , those PVC pipes, I would wrap something like cloth, indoor outdoor carpet AKA astroturff or whatever you have. so that chicks can hold on a little better. A 2 X 4 installed flat side makes a good roost. Gives chicks a good perch. I personally use tree branches with bark on them. I just grind off any sharp or protruding points. Give my girls a feel of the wild =D

3. SCWFarms

SCWFarms Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback! In the state it is in, I just have to remove the screws holding the run on (maybe 20 or so) to make it mobile.

Most of the pvc pipe has duct tape (scrunched up) to crate a textured surface for them to grab on to. I would like to get something better though.

I put on some corrogated metal panels for roofing because the roof had leaks. What I've found is that it created a vent/air flow system. Since the roof panels aren't flat, the air flows through the holes where the vents used to be, into the channels of the metal roof, then out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by