1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sliding door to upstairs roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AustinChick8717, Jul 23, 2014.

1. AustinChick8717

AustinChick8717 Hatching

Jul 23, 2014
    I have a coop/run that's approx 12' x 5'. The structure itself is predator proof (as much as I can make it). It has hardware cloth sides, hardware cloth dug into the trenches, multiple locks on all of the exterior doors and flashing nighttime "eyes" that start when the sun goes down. In other words, the exterior of the building itself is as safe as I can make it and locked up tight. This is an urban scenario, so my girls will NOT be free ranging in the yard...they will ALWAYS be inside of this secure run. At night, the girls go "upstairs" to the roosting bars...there is a ramp (inside of the secure coop) that goes to the coop/roosting bars.

At the top of the ramp, there is a sliding door--this is all within the secure coop. Is it a necessity to slide this door shut every night?

I know sliding this door shut is an extra layer of protection, but wondering if it's necessary to be closed every night if it's within the secure structure? Help please!

2. ECBW

ECBW Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I have a run and coop connected by a pop door, similar function as your sliding door. My pop is open over night so they can get out when they wake. The run is secure. I have seen foxes trying but can not get in.

The pop door was closed during hurricane Sandy and when the wind-chill got down to -20F.

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

If you feel your run is secure… then if you choose to leave the pop door open that would be ok. There is no magic in closing the pop door, it is just for safety. If you fence is providing this, then it is purely academic and to a point redundant to close the pop door as well.

That being said, I close mine every evening. It only takes a fleeting moment of opportunity for disaster to run amuck in your coop. And no amount of heartache can undo what has been done. Chicken tastes good, everyone likes chicken. There are things that go 'bump' in the night. Things we do not see… but they are out there, waiting for that odd chance to enter you sanctuary and leave you a coop of dead birds.

Your management style had to be yours, you need to weigh the risks, and do that which you feel is right for you and your flock.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. 6of6chicks

6of6chicks Songster

Jun 9, 2014
    X2.

My run is also as secure as I can make it - hardware cloth all the way up the sides, buried apron, and on the roof under the roofing panels. Concrete blocks & pavers all the way around, with additional concrete poured along parts of the frame to close up any potential weak spots.

That said, I still close the pop door to the coop every night. Even though my run is secure. Even though it is sometimes a giant PITA to get out of bed at dawn on the weekends when I want to sleep in. I still close it because if I don't, then I lay awake at night and worry that this will be the ONE time something comes along and finds a weak spot that I didn't foresee.

But I'm a worrier. For me, leaving the pop door open is like leaving a tiny window of opportunity for a predator - and that possibility, no matter how remote, will still nag at me. But that's just me. Your predators, house, neighbors, setup, and state of mind are all different than mine. I'd just weigh the pros & cons and do what feels right for you. Loads of people have open coops/runs and have no problems whatsoever. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  5. AustinChick8717

AustinChick8717 Hatching

Jul 23, 2014
    Thank y'all so much! I am new to backyard hens and wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. Worrying about predator proofing my hen house has caused some sleepless nights! :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: