Sliding Glass Door in Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SandyK, Jul 4, 2010.

1. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Just wondering for those who might have put a sliding glass door in their coop somewhere, what they think about it. I believe I saw a picture a while back where someone used one. We have the option now of a slider or a regular door with full panel lights to let more light into the coop. My concern with a slider would be the girls kicking the bedding out. I guess we could always put a piece of wood across the doorway to help prevent it. This wouldn't be my front door, but a side door into the run.

Any thoughts??
    Thanks
    Sandy

2. ChixPix

ChixPix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I'd be concerned about the bedding getting into the track and it being unable to slide properly.

I have a full view glass storm door on my coop and they seem to like it, and it hasn't been getting too hot.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, the track is going to clog up REAL BAD with bedding and poo, even if you have a retaining 'sill' -- best solution I can think of is to cut a piece of 2x2 or whatever is necessary, to exactly fit/fill the recess of the track, and put it in there as soon as you open the door -- but some crud will still sneak around the edges and gradually foul the track. To me it sounds like much much more of a maintenance headache than it'd be worth.

JMHO,

Pat

4. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Thanks, I think maybe the regular door will be much better. You all are so good helping out!!

5. ShadWarr1

ShadWarr1 New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Hi all. I know this is my first post, but I've been "lurking" for some time now.

Why not install the sliding door backwards so the door is on the outside of the coop? Then you won't have to worry about getting bedding and poo in the track. Also, there area few manufacturers that made sliding glass doors with the door on the outside if you're lucky to find one.

Contact local glass shops or construction materials recycling places in your area, they may have a salvaged one laying around.

Zak

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Hi, welcome to BYC [​IMG]

The track would still fill up with yuck when the door was open and the chickens were going in and out, though [​IMG]

Pat

7. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I have a few Buff Orpingtons, and though they are the sweetest birds, they sure aren't bright. I could see them trying to fly right into the glass......I would not want to put up a sliding glass door. [​IMG]

8. woodguy

woodguy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Bushwood
    Quote:I have my chickens in cages on the front porch while I'm completing my coop and it seems they always want to fly into the windows. Evidently they want to perch themselves onto the center horizontal frames of the double hung windows just on the other side of the screens....Silly birds![​IMG]

9. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Concerns about flying into glass aside... If you decide to do it you could just nail a 3-4" high (or higher) board against the glass door which will keep the bedding from clogging up the track.

10. ChickenFan451

ChickenFan451 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Bailey, Colorado
    I got a free sliding glass door, took it apart and used one side for my people door and put the other side up as a door after turning it on its side. So I have a huge door I can see through and one window that is absolutely huge. Love it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by