Sliding vinyl windows - predator risk?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kiwiegg, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hi all. I began framing tonight and was about to frame for one of my used vinyl windows when a thought occurred (yes, it hurt)

I imagine (zero experience) on a hot summer night my ladies may like the windows open. Are the screens on vinyl windows an invitation for predators? Is there a certain height that may be safe? Are foxes really THAT cunning?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Do I need to staple hardware cloth over those windows??? Really want to use them but want my gals to be safe...

3. okmike

okmike New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    I have been the victim of some crafty raccoons. They can be quite sneaky.. I think it would be a good idea to cover any windows that will be open with some wire.. Good luck with your build.

4. kiwiegg

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks okmike. The more I'm thinking about it the more I realize I need to staple hardware cloth instead of/with the screen material. It won't look as good of course but the peace-of-mind trade off will be worth it! I got these nice windows super cheap so I need to figure out how to utilize them.

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I agree.

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Someone posted recently about the need to remember to install your windows backwards in a chicken coop. Apparently when you install windows so that you can open/close from outside the coop this places the drain holes inside the coop. Not sure if this applies to your install but thought I'd mention it.

7. Holly0

Holly0 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    We used 2 sliding vinyl windows in our coop also. It is still winter in Oregon so we have the windows cracked open about an inch and have a stick on the inside runner tract so it can't be slid open any further from the outside. In the near future we will cover them with wire so we can open the windows further as the weather improves.

8. vinylwindowguy

vinylwindowguy New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    I saw your post and thought you might get a kick out of this chicken house restoration!

9. okmike

okmike New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Maybe you could build a frame around the window after it is installed. Paint the frame so that it looks like trim and then attach the wire.

10. chicks2012

chicks2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    So Oklahoma
    Build a frame around the outside of the window and add wire on top of it. Allow clearance for the sliding side of the window.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by