Slight Bleeding from Cloaca

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by family farm ma, Feb 24, 2017.

1. family farm ma

family farm ma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    Hi, everyone! I have a friend whose daughter raises laying hens, and she's very worried about one of her girls. She has a hen who is only about a year and a half old who has been bleeding just a little bit from her cloaca for the past three weeks. She (the hen, NOT the daughter!) is still laying, and seems quite energetic and healthy. There isn't a rooster in the flock, and there are about 35 hens housed in two ginormous coops. They free-range during the day. They are fed layer pellets with calcium, and offered oyster shell free-choice. I read all the posts/threads about this, but found nothing that seems to be the same symptoms. The hen doesn't have any prolapsing, and doesn't appear to strain when laying. Her eggs aren't soft or anything either. Thanks!!!

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Does she see the bleeding or is she finding some bloody staining on the eggs?

3. family farm ma

Jul 4, 2012
    Thanks for replying, SIMZ. She sees it on the chicken. She says it's only a little bit. I'll talk to her after she gets home from school to clarify what "little bit" means.

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Sometimes a mite infestation can cause blood streaking on the eggs. It's always good to do a good check around the vent for parasites.

5. family farm ma

Jul 4, 2012
    I'll have her check that. She says she had given her a warm bath a few days ago, but don't know if she looked for mites (she's a beat squeamish about such things!). Thanks for that suggestion!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by