1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Slight cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cochunk, Dec 4, 2011.

1. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    we live up north in Oregon, the temperature has been in the 30's lately and our 6 outdoor chickens always free range since they are cold hearty . I noticed today that they are getting runny nostrils. is there something I should do to help them.

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Hi... I think that more info is needed to get good responses. How old are they? And, while they free range -- I assume they have a coop in which to roost at night? Someplace to be out of the weather, sheltered from the wind and rain?

You can use the Search here on BYC for "runny nose" or "nasal discharge" and see what you come up with... if it is a small amount and clear... maybe just keep an eye on it and see if it goes away -- was a one time thing? Watch all of them for other symptoms. Are they laying eggs? Molting? What do you feed them?

Depending on their age... all chickens get worms, and free range chickens are most prone to worms... Have you ever wormed them? Not that a mild runny nose with no other symptoms means worms or anything else... but... consider worming them if you haven't (if they are adult, full grown or over six or seven months old). You can Search here on BYC for "worming with Valbazen".... "worming".. "Valbazen dosages"... "giving oral medications".. "Tapeworms"... "egg withdrawal with Valbazen".. etc.. note info from dawg53... good info from him on worming, dosages, etc.

Good luck.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Actually, worms would have nothing to do with a nasal discharge. And, though it seems counter-intuitive, penned birds are more likely than free range birds to get a heavy worm load. Free range birds eat natural wormers while out on range so need worming less often than birds penned 24/7 (or maybe even never).

Do NOT give antibiotics. A slight clear discharge may be nothing more than ammonia build up in the litter. Check down at their level and make sure they have good ventilation up high, even on the coldest days. If it's actual snot you mean, that is a respiratory illness that is more serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by