Slight Frustration With Old Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MagsC, Jan 9, 2010.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Now I KNOW dogs get old. I KNOW they get incontinent. As long as they are healthy otherwise and active, I would never put them down for that.
    This said, I would like some suggestions on keeping the mess to a minimum and other various old dog tips. I think I have done pretty well, but maybe someone else has been in a similiar situation and has a better ideas. I dont claim to know everything for sure!!
    Anyway. One of our dogs is a VERY old male Westie and the other old dog is a female Cocker Spaniel.
    I take them out at least eight times a day and make sure they "go". First time 5 am, last time no earlier than 10 pm. I feel more than half my life is spent doing this. Of course "I" was the one that took on the responsibility so take the bad with the good, right? I use belly bands and diapers when I am not taking them outside. However, with the Westie, there are still "pee" accidents in the belly bands and the old female doesnt have much control over her bowels. When she has to go, she has to GO,lol. I think part of it is that she was a breeding dog until the age of 9 when I got her. I imagine much like any one of us when we get real old.
    These dogs have been to the vet and his only suggestion is to keep giving them the quality of life I have been since there is not much else can be done. And no, I dont expect miracles. I am just lucky to have had them in my life as long as I have so far. I would be happy to have all of our dogs that long.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] I feel for you. I have a 15 year old male daschound that I take out many times a day and poor baby comes into the house and uses the bathroom. Thank God I have tile floor and a mop and bucket. He is healthy and he has regular vet care. I know it can be frustrating, but I wouldn't have it any other way-like you, I know I am lucky to still have him.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yours sounds not so bad. Try an ancient Boston Terrier that is blind with glaucoma, & thinks he's still KING over the other 6. PHEW!!! WHAT A DOG!!! Love him to pieces though![​IMG]

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had an incontinent Great Dane... Try that!!!! lol

You can buy washable pee pads that are blanket sized at Dr.s Fosters Smith catalog, use them on bedding to keep clean, or inside a puppy pen for when you want to go out/to reduce potty breaks. You can also get disposable potty pads, I used both. Infants baby matresses are often moisture resistant, make good dog bed for incontinent dogs. I really reccomend you confine your dog in a puppy pen (not a crate because they are too small and the dog may become upset at soiling herself in a bed) lined with the blanket or pee pads I mentioned. it will give you a little time off from the pee breaks. For additional floor protection, you can go to a home store and get some linoleum a bit larger than the puppy pen. Put that down, line the pen with the pads. Doubles the protection for your floor, helpful if you have carpeting & want to keep the dog in a carpeted area.

Also, i'm sure you have done this, but if you havn't, get a check up to make sure there is no infection or kidney problem associated with the incontinence. My dog was incontinent, but my vet didn't check for infection despite repeated bladder infections & it traveled to her kidneys. Destroyed them & killed her. She died of kidney failure. Kidney failure is one of the most common causes of death in dogs. (I'm sure it's not that, but I wanted to make sure you knew about that) [​IMG]

5. eggers85

eggers85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I have a Great Dane also, she is six now. I'll keep your suggestions in mind as she gets older.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    We used B!itches Britches and grown up diapers trimmed to fit on one of our old girls. It was OK.

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks all.[​IMG]
    easttxchick, thank goodness for the mops, buckets and linoleum huh??? I have only a couple areas in my house that have carpet and the old dogs are definitely not allowed in those areas.
    fancbrd4meo2, YIKES, an incontinent Great Dane????? You are a saint for being able to have handled that! But then, as I said, we take on the responsibility and see it through.
    birdaholic, I get what you are saying because our westie STILL thinks he is "boss". With most of our dogs that is okay but with a chow cross it can be a bit problematic...
    Brindlebtch, are all the canine diapers made just for when they urinate or is there anything AT ALL for poo accidents as well?
    I did get some wee pads, looking for a exercise pen, and buying some more belly bands and diapers. This reminds me of when my kids were babies,lol.

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I want to add a suggestion for you to ask your vet. Its the "P" pill. We prescribe it to alot of older dogs who have an incontinence problem with no other health issues such as a urinary tract infection, and it does help them quite a bit.
    The actual name is: phenylpropanolamine.

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thank you!! I will ask my vet tomorrow about that.

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My dog is on that for female incontinence. Works quite well. She's 10 yrs young

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by