slight wing injury on young polish bantam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chixrus, Jul 22, 2010.

1. chixrus

chixrus Songster

Oct 24, 2008
    my 1yr old golden retriever is normally pretty good with our chickens, but today, she was walking towards the house with our 2 1/2 mth old polish bantam in her mouth. We thought she was okay at first, but when my sister checked on her, she noticed that Polish has a broken wing bone (we think) on the underside of her wing. We bound her wing to her body, but I don't know what else to do. We'd rather not put her down if it can be helped.
    Any help would be appreciated!

2. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Songster

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    :cdMy cats are fine with my full size chickens but not with my bantams. I think the bantams just unfortunately look too much like a "regular" bird.

Are there any open wounds on her? That would be my biggest concern. Be careful wrapping it that there isn't any moisture in there, especially in the "arm pit" area. That could cause a bigger problem. As long as she is ok other than an injured wing, she should be fine. A chicken can live without a wing. I had a leghorn with a broken leg. It took a while to treat, but she's fine now. She has a little limp and a bump where the break was but her place in the flock is just as it was before.

Just give her lots of love and keep an eye on that dog! [​IMG] Your girl should be good as new in no time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: