Slightly irritated this morning...sales tax on chicken feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BarefootMom, Aug 31, 2010.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Songster

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    [​IMG] Maybe someone can tell me. Every other place I have bought my Egg Layer, I have not been charged sales tax because it is for farm use. This morning I had the kids with me so I went to the Farm and Home store instead of the feed store. I was charged sales tax. It was on $0.57 but it is the matter of fact. I bought it there a few weeks ago and didn't even think to check to see if they charged me. The lady at the register said the only way I could get it tax free was if I sold my eggs commercially and could prove it with a business liscense?!?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are the "rules"
    Other Sales/Use Exemptions
    Agricultural - Farm machinery and equipment are exempt from tax if used exclusively for agricultural purposes, used on land owned or leased
    for the purpose of producing farm products, and used directly in the production of farm products to be ultimately sold at retail. The sale of grains
    to be converted into foodstuffs or seed, and limestone, fertilizer, and herbicides used in connection with the growth or production of crops,
    livestock or poultry is exempt from tax. The sale of livestock, animals or poultry used for breeding or feeding purposes, feed for livestock or
    poultry, feed additives, medications or vaccines administered to livestock or poultry in the production of food or fiber, and sales of pesticides and
    herbicides used in the production of aquaculture, livestock or poultry are exempt from tax.
    All sales of fencing materials used for agricultural
    purposes and the purchase of motor fuel are exempt from tax.

So from what the "rules" say I think it sounds like I was right. What do you think. I called the main guy at the store and he is going to call me back, maybe. He didn't like it very much when I asked him how many other people they had cheated out on the Egg Layer...[​IMG]

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Songster

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Alright the guy actually called me back...he takes it as I need to be able to prove that I sell eggs. great. guess I won't be buying from them anymore.

3. madimorg

madimorg In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I get my feed at TSC and am tax exempt for farm... however, I always get charged tax on chicken feed. I always have thought it's odd.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oddly enough, I've never been charged sales tax on chicken feed. This is in California... I asked why and was told it was due to being a food product for a food item. How odd. I'm charged tax on crushed oyster shell.... (at least I think I was...)

6. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    All you need to do is bring you last years tax return showing your farm income or loss attached (schedule F on line 18) this shows you have claimed farm on your taxes, they have to have this for your tax exemption form otherwise if it is found that you really don't have a farm exemption then the store has to pay the sales tax.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I believe here in NJ if you profiet $500 you are farm exempt. I don't get involved 'cause I get it back in other ways.

8. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    I don't get taxed if I buy from our local feed store, but if I go to the TSC I do... I believe it will vary by state.?

9. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:That's odd, i use to buy my flock raiser from them and i am farm exempt and i never paid tax on it or my Working dogs kibble either.

10. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Songster

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Gotta love OREGON...no sales tax!! [​IMG] Yeah, I know...pay personal income tax, but it's nice not to come up short at the register. The price you see is the price you pay...Maybe it's my poor chicken math skills. [​IMG] [​IMG] Also...no pumping gas in rainy weather.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by