Slightly "soiled" looking eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Good morning....I have 8 Buff Orp hens and it appears I have approx 4 laying at this time. Getting 3 eggs some days, 4 eggs on others (no complaints). Recently I have noticed an occasional egg that has slight blood streaks on it, even a little poop smear (??). Is this normal? I have checked all the hens for signs of a wound or discharge and see nothing. They ALL act fine, are eating well, appear healthy overall. Are these eggs ok to consume? Incubate? Anything more I should do to check my hens or is this normal? THANKS

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Safe. just wash prior to using. And don't let them sleep in the box.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:That's pretty normal, I think the blood streaks might come from the occasional burst capillary. The poop smear is normal, too. It can come from the hen or from the nest getting soiled.

They're fine to eat- I rinse and scrub with a soft nail brush, if needed, just before cooking. As far as incubating, a little poop doesn't hurt. You just don't want the really dirty ones in there. You didn't mention a rooster though, and he's essential to incubating!! [​IMG]

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I do have a rooster and he is a "happy boy". I tell my wife that if I die, I want to come back as "Big Daddy", my rooster [​IMG]. He has it made....8 hens, a coop, about 20 acres to roam on "when I let them out" and 2 boys that think he is a great pet. Thanks for the advise. I was a little worried about the blood...didnt want one of my girls to be hurt and me doing nothing about it. Have a great day

5. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Quote:They're fine to eat- I rinse and scrub with a soft nail brush, if needed, just before cooking.

I totally agree with ranchhand

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by