slime pouring out of beak? 2nd chicken down both bantams

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Mar 25, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok last week i had a sick looking bantam cochin roo, i brought him inside immediatly to quarantine where he got worse and worse and died on the third day. first symptoms were sitting still, hunched up ruffeled feathers, 2nd day discharge in the beak...thick slimey glue stuff, he would open his beak and it would snap back shut because of the goo. it seemed thicker than your average respitory infection snot. he never wheezed or sneezed but his face did develope a yellowing colour.

three days after dying, another bantam cochin roo from a seperate pen came down with the same symptoms but on a more severe scale, when you picked him up the gloop ran out of his beak, and he has it coming from his nostrils too, i have to rinse out his beak every hour to help free it of gloop or he wouldnt be able to breathe. last night he developed the yellowing skin colour so im thinking when i go out to check him now he's gonna be dead [​IMG]

so far no ther chickens from either pen are showing any symptoms but its bugging what it is. i tried both on antibiotics but no impovement so im thinking virus?

any help or info would be great, is it worth trying to treat if anymore come down, or should i cull directly to avoid spread?

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    I will bump through this thread as my shamo x light sussex had died from this but she died straight away.

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    2nd roo is dead, just been out to check [​IMG]

4. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    I think it's Mycoplasma Gallisepticum Infection

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by