Sling to support a hurt rooster off of his legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Roswell Chickenman, Nov 30, 2008.

1. The Roswell Chickenman

The Roswell Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    North Georgia
    I found my rooster just sitting in the coop and picked him up he was just skin and bones. He had been limping for a day but on Thanksgiving Day he looked tired so I brought him inside. A few hours later, he couldn't even hold his head up and I thought he was finished. Needless to say I couldn't find a vet or anything wrong. I read if he didn't get water and food he was done. I found a recipe for birds that was equal parts crushed feed (I used game bird starter;26% protein), pureed apple, real natural unflavored yogurt and a little honey, mashed up with Pedialyte. and force fed to him . First I force fed him Pedialyte with a child's medicine dispenser and them forced the mush into the medicine dispenser with a popsickle stick and gave him that. I also dripped Pedialyte it on his nose with an eyedropper until he didn't want anymore. An hour later he was squawking for food whenever I walked by. I took him to the only avian vet who couldn't find anything wrong with his leg but kept him gave him overnight. They gave him a food tube and dehydrated him and gave him antibiotics.

He is back home and eating and the vet said just keep him inside and let him rest. I saw someone mentioned a sling that would support him off of the floor with cut outs for his legs and vent but I went back and looked and can't find the link anywhere.

Does anyone have pictures or a description so I can keep him off of the floor?

Andrew and Roo Roo:)

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Hi Andrew. I am so sorry to hear about your little roo [​IMG] I too am nursing a roo that could not walk but for different reasons. After 2 weeks inside he is now standing some and walking a few shakey steps at a time. It's been a long process. I have been feeding him boiled brown rice, spinich and beef baby food combined along with some of his regular game bird starter. He seems to get stronger each day so I am hopeful he will recover completely. I was certain he would be parylized for life but now I think he will be ok eventually. I toyed with the idea of a sling but it seemed to stress him out far worse than the benifits it would have given so I left him sitting and just picked him up a few times each day and manually moved his legs so that they would not loose their usefulness. I hope this info may help you with your little buddy [​IMG]

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
  4. The Roswell Chickenman

The Roswell Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    North Georgia
    Thank you both for your help. That sling looks just like what I read about. I know he will like the gourmet food and right now he is eating like a king. He is starting to get up on one leg so I am going to wait one more day before I get him a sling. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by