1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Slipped tendon in day old chick - Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Swearyknitter, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Swearyknitter

Swearyknitter Hatching

Jul 18, 2018
    Hello,

We had 2 chicks hatch yesterday but one appears to have a slipped tendon.

I can feel the tendon slip back when I stretch the leg, but it's not staying in place.

I can't figure out how to splint the leg properly, and not sure how to create a sling, if they still need heat.

The chick can bimble around and is eating normally, but I want to do what I can to make things better for it! I've seen posts here about how to bandage etc, but I can't quite figure it out without seeing pictures.

Any advice???

2. peeper89

peeper89 Songster

Feb 21, 2017
  3. Swearyknitter

Swearyknitter Hatching

Jul 18, 2018
    peeper89 likes this.
  4. Swearyknitter

Swearyknitter Hatching

Jul 18, 2018
    Just a little update -

I splinted Sharons leg for about 24 hours and it seems to have done the trick! She's now bimbling around! She seems a little stiff, but I'm going to give her a bit of physio every day.

Thank you so much for your help ❤

peeper89 likes this.
  5. peeper89

peeper89 Songster

Feb 21, 2017
    is baby doin better?

6. Swearyknitter

Swearyknitter Hatching

Jul 18, 2018
    You'd never guess there had been an issue! She's doing really well. Thank you again for your help ❤

7. chantels1

chantels1 Songster 5 Years

Feb 24, 2013
    Can you show me the splints? I have a 1 day old silkie with the same symptoms. Reluctant to put weight on leg. I want to splint, but don't know how.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: