Slipped tendon in IB Chick, Anything I can do?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
Hi, I have a IB Chick that is about 2 Months of age, I got this chick during a Re homing project, the chick appears to have slipped it's Tendon in its right leg, I pop it back in and it comes back out. From what I have read there is not much that can be done correct?
Thanks

I tried to save two from the feedstore last year, but failed. Maybe if you can figure out a way to splint it and put it in a sling?

-kathy

I read about someone that had it surgically corrected with a suture to hold the tendon in place, think I found that story on the poultry pedia site.

-Kathy

Usually it is hard to fix, but two years ago with my blackshoulder spalding peachick I just kept popping her tendon back into place, and she is perfectly fine and healthy and healed just fine. Unfortunately her sibling, an opal spalding, did not respond well to the treatment, and his leg got so bad that is twisted around and he did not make it... Good luck!

It just happen out of no where, The chick is a couple months old and is not with bigger birds so I am unsure what caused it. Good Pen solid non slip floor.

That is the best info I could find on it, too. In the article is this "They both also mentioned the problem could be a nutritional lack of certain vitamins and minerals. As I continued on my search for answers I came across a publication that has been a life saver on numerous occasions; The Poultry Health Handbook by Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences." , which might be the same as this:
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/agrs52

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom