Slipped tendon or something more?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dianneS, Feb 17, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have a two week old chick that suddenly can't walk. It seems to be the right leg/side of the chick. It won't try to stand on its good leg at all. The right leg is out to the side and so is the right wing. I've moved the leg and felt for inflammation and checked for pain, and I'm finding nothing? I don't know what to do? The chick was fine up until yesterday. Could it be a back injury?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I *think* I've read on here that chicks can get slipped hock tendons? I hope I'm remembering this right! Maybe that's what you've got here. I don't know if that's something that is there from when they hatch or if it can happen after a couple of weeks. I think I saw your other post about this yesterday. IMO other chicks couldn't cause injury like this. Chicks stamp and kick all over each other all the time and I've never seen it cause any injuries. Have a search on here for 'slipped tendon' and see what comes up. Also try 'chick orthopaedics' or orthopedics - I suppose the American spelling is more likely on here. Also 'chick chair' for how to correct some leg defects and injuries. Good luck! I hope you get some better help than my vague ideas!

3. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    She seems to be somewhat better today. She's at least trying to walk with the good leg and pushing with the bad leg extended out to the side. It looks like a dislocation of some sort, but I'm not sure? I still have no idea what else to do other than watch and wait.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Search on here for similar problems, there will be LOADS of them.
    Read the advice, look at the pictures, decide if any of the information appplies.

Did you look for the 'chick chair' yet? Or for info on how to immobilise and strap up slipped tendons?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by