slipped tendon or?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stargazingmommy, Feb 14, 2014.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Meet Tyson. Tyson is a lone poultry type resident in his home. He adopted his family when hi showed up out of nowhere. He seemed perfectly fine for many months. Out of the blue he developed what looks like a slipped tendon. My Google super powers are broken, I can find nothing on slipped tendon in adult birds.
    What are the suggestions? Culling isn't so much an option yet, there are two little out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you sure it's not broken?

-Kathy

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Honestly I don't know, it's a friend Bird and I'm across the country. Would it be advisable to splint it and go from there?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If your friend can't tell if it's broken, he/she probably should not attempt to splint it.

-Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Looking at your pictures, I wonder if he doesn't have MS or viral arthritis (tenosynovitis.) He has a blister on his chest, and that can be a sign of MS from lying down a lot. They can have some respiratory symptoms or not with MS. It is treated with Tylan, aureomycin, and oxytetracycline, but it is a carrier disease. Tenosynovitis is a virus that causes arthritis, and the tendon in the upper leg can rupture which may be why his leg is deformed. Here are a couple of links to read, and you can decide if either fits: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/164/viral-arthritis

1 person likes this.
  6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    To check for a slipped tendon,run your thumbs down the back of leg from hock(leg joins body)to shank(scales start)press down while doing this. If tendon has slipped,you can feel it,it will feel loose like an elastic band/springy/wobbly,press down you should feel it snap back into place. If it does not stay in place,you can wrap it. This is usually very painful for birds. When he walks does he use his wings for balance and walks on his hocks or very low to the ground? This is how my boy would walk,i initially was treating him for a sprain,but when there was no improvement i realized it had to be something else,this is when i discovered it was a tendon issue.

For pain relief you can give a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a reg aspirin(325mg). Dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese).

I have successfully treated this in an adult rooster.

Has he been checked for a fracture? Feel up and down leg can you feel a fracture or swelling,is leg hot or cold to the touch? It may not be a complete break and this would be one reason why you would not be able to feel anything different in leg.

7. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Thanks ero all the comments and ideas. After a ton of phone calls they were able to find a vet willing to see him. Turns out the poor guys leg was broken. Surgery was scheduled and some so stoP. Once the vet was in there he realized it was to damaged:/ for repair so he q Aquarium. The vet said he should survive and will adjust to one legged life. Regardless, he has a home and will be well cared for until he is in to much pain, and then they won't make him suffer

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks for the update and thank your friend for having him treated!

-Kathy

9. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Tyson didn't make it. He did ok with the surgery and seemed to be doing ok, but yesterday morning he was dead when they got up. It was exactly one year and one day since he showed up at their house, but it was a year of being loved and cared for

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry... [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by