Slipped Tendon success story

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Monguire, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    We had a recent hatch and one of the chicks was acting different from the others. According to the kids, this one was acting "derpy"...so the wife sprung into action.

She created this little video to document this little chick's adventures. Thank you to everyone who contributes to BYC for making this THE go-to resource for everything chicken! We wouldn't have known how to handle this situation without your help.

2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    That's really cute!! [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great video of Derpy's therapy and recovery. Hope she has a healthy life.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    That's an amazing story! I'm glad Derpy is fully recovered and thriving!

5. EllerbeeRN

EllerbeeRN New Egg

Jul 29, 2016
    Thank you for that video!! I have a 4 day old chick that has a slipped tendon & I made a chick chair like yours!! We are praying hard for this little guy/girl. She lost both parents to a raccoon and I became a chicken incubator lady for the first time ever due to her being left behind. 2 of the 6 left behind eggs developed fully & this is the only chick to hatch out completely. My heart aches for this little guy/girl to make it. She is out of the chick chair and re lreaning how to walk. He tendon seems to be staying in place and the chick can stand!! Please any tips or help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED MORE THAN YOU KNOW! [​IMG]

6. EllerbeeRN

EllerbeeRN New Egg

Jul 29, 2016
    Update: My little baby didn't make it. [​IMG]I suppose her little heart couldn't take the stress. She was walking fine, and I left her in with the other biddies while going to dinner. When I returned later that evening, she had passed. I suppose I should have done her therapy more frequently.[​IMG] I was just too afraid that if I left her legs immobilized for too long that her muscles would atrophy & she would be unable to walk altogether.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost her, and also for the loss of the others.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Being with the other chicks may have been too strenuous for her.

9. alexgabriel1

alexgabriel1 New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Is there a video that csn show how to exactly try to put the tendon back in place? Just yesterday I had a baby that apparently was fractured duting hatch. I've been all dsy searching for info. There is s lot, but none exactly shows how to put the trndon back in place with the bare hands :(

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Here is a video or two on YouTube, although others may have something similar to add:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by