Slipped tendon/ Swollen Hock...Too late?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lambingfamily, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    [​IMG] I have a 7 day old chick that has a slipped tendon I think. It happened sometime Sunday but when I noticed it, the hock was already swollen and I could not feel the tendon. I bandaged it and I tried a paddle foot. Now I have it in a chick chair. Not exactly sure that I did it right but based on photos I found I hope so. Should I put it in a splint as well as the chair. And since I have to hand feed/water it, how often should I do that? Has anyone ever had success in a situation like this? Other than the bum leg it acts fine. Actually it is pretty spoiled! Any advise is most appreciated! We are new at all of this. [​IMG]

Oh yea, we are giving it 2 drops of children's liquid vitimans a day.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The F.R.O.G. Family
    (Fully Reliant On God)

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Dare I ask what a chick chair is ... I have visions of those little paralized dogs in doggie wheel chairs.

I hope someone answers you soon , good luck and give the baby lots of luvies

3. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    It is basically like a hammock for the chick so it doesn't put any weight on the leg. At least that was my interpretation. [​IMG] I am very anxious to hear if anyone else has had success! [​IMG] Piss Prissy told me to put a piece of card board under the foot to keep the toes from curling, which I did. The toes aren't curling anymore but it the leg is still turned and hock is still swollen. Not as much as it was yesterday though so I am trying to hold out for a positive ending![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by