mblack03

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Hi!

This week's been all sorts of crazy; I wanted to make a separate thread detailing my experience so far, and hopefully get some help. I've felt nothing but defeated today and would really like to get some insight from others.

Last Sunday, I noticed my 4/5 week old baby mallard, Moe, began limping. I've raised a flock before, but I'm fairly new to the duck scene and, after some research, thought I was dealing with a niacin issue. I bought both Durvet vitamins and a liquid complex, but after some pointers from others on this site I further concluded it could be a slipped tendon- which after a trip to the vet yesterday, it was.

The vet told us our options- we could splint it and/or look into surgical options; saying that these things don't generally tend to work. We decided to splint it and check it in five or so days to observe the progress- I left her in my mom's care for the day to work, and when I came home Moe had a big blister on her foot. We contacted the vet and they told us Moe must've had some trauma to it- which makes no sense as she was in her bin all day with both a splint on and in a plastic bin with shavings and a food+water tray. To keep the swelling down, we gave her a liquid anti-inflammatory and loosened the splint; if that's how she reacts to the splint in about a day's worth, I don't think that will be an option (though I believe the splint must've been too tight). We're considering surgery, but we're very tight on money, and the vet's words didn't uplift me very much.

I wish I could say I'm continuing with the same positive energy I had when I started this whole journey, but I can't. I'm beyond exhausted, disheartened and conflicted, and today was just the breaking point for that. I thought getting this splint would help, but it's done the exact opposite. I feel like this is all my fault and I'm not doing enough, but I don't know what it is that I can do. I'm very worried for myself as a whole, as this is starting to effect me very personally and deeply to the point where I'm ignoring some of my own needs to spend a little extra time with my Moe. I love her with all my heart and I'm just not ready to let go yet, but I'm so frustrated and hopeless.

I apologize for this being so long, and such a downer post. I'm out of options and would really appreciate all of the advice I could get right now.
Thank you. :)

Can you post pictures?
Hi!! Of course :)

I have a few pictures on my other two previous threads, but I can masterpost most of the photos I have here as well.
01A0614F-7289-45CD-A43B-DDBBFB3C028B.jpeg
This was from last Sunday when I noticed the limp and the leg. I kept her separate from her other two siblings all that day, but couldn't be with her Monday. I was able to have her full-time Tuesday, and that was around the time I realized we probably weren't dealing with a niacin deficiency.

758BDDD0-AC5F-41E9-B3C0-9ECBB8FE119E.jpeg
This has been her little setup during the day, though her favorite spot seems to be my side right now. The vet said she's in good health besides the tendon, so I'm hoping this benefits the recovery process.

ACAEFF6F-B229-4F6B-A3A2-FB7CA1645B17.jpeg
This was her splint immediately after the vet visit; but we've since taken off the tape and gauze after the blister on her webbing appeared, the surgical tape that we believe is the part of the splint holding the tendon is still on. We're saving both parts for a later date to rewrap it after the swelling has gone down; but unfortunately it didn't look too different this morning.

B755821B-6B68-4122-88FA-0A5982D7989F.jpeg
This is basically what Moe's blister looks like atm. We've since contacted our vet today for some remedies we can try at home, and I'm currently planning on putting together an epsom salt compress for it+the anti-inflammatory meds.

Yesterday was a very hard day for me- but after quite a bit of processing, we've decided to go through and consult a surgeon. Most likely sometime next week. I'm back to feeling very positive and hopeful- I tend to get in my head about this stuff and think too deep into it, I again apologize for such a downer post :,). I'll be going to spend next week at my dad's later today; that's the location of the farm+pond where I raise my ducks, so I'll make time for Moe to see her siblings (with distance, of course. I believe a little bit of socializing after her little quarantine will do her good, I'll also try and get her outside with me a little so she can enjoy the August sun.)

If you'd like more photos/info, please lmk!! :) I'm more than happy to provide updates as well, but I may be a little on+off this week until we figure out what surgical options we have available. I would really like to have a few days of rest with her, believe me it's been an absolute week for both of us, and I know an off day or two would do us good.
Thank you very much!!

Back
Top Bottom