Slipped tendon

djsfarmjoyables

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
Today I brought home an owner surrender pekin duck. I strongly suspect a slipped tendon as the duck has a pronounced limp and the second joint is swollen. Will have it x rayed this week.
Has anyone had the surgery done? What is the approximate cost? Do I need to set up a go fund me?

oday I brought home an owner surrender pekin duck. I strongly suspect a slipped tendon as the duck has a pronounced limp and the second joint is swollen. Will have it x rayed this week.
Has anyone had the surgery done? What is the approximate cost? Do I need to set up a go fund me?
How much it will cost -- and it will be expensive -- will depend on where you are. No vets in St Johns County Florida [where I live] will see ducks. In Duval County to our north [Jacksonville] there is an exotic bird vet who will see ducks but I cannot afford to go there. There might be a wildlife rescue near you that has volunteer vets. Its always worth inquiring

If it is a slipped tendon you should be able to feel it on one side or the other of the hock joint. The leg also has a hard time extending fully. Unfortunately Pekin commonly have leg issues, so it could be something else. I would check for bumblefoot too if you haven't.

I don't know how much treating a slipped tendon in an adult would be. I don't think it would be cheap. I would image several hundred maybe over $1,000.

You could also treat the duck with high level vitamin B complex in case it is partly due to a deficiency. It is pretty common in Pekin, since first time duck owners have no idea they need more naicin. It definitely won't hurt. You can get it at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom