slipped wing and angel wing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by janastasio, May 31, 2010.

1. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We currently have about 20 ducklings. I noticed in the last 2 days that we have a khaki campbell that looks to be developing the early stages of angel wing. I will go to the feed store tomorrow and pick up wrap for her. I also have a silky duckling from holderreads that has slipped wings. Not sure if I treat this one the same way???? I'm feeding Purina duck grower. I believe it is a 16 or 18% protein. If this is too much what should I be feeding or cutting it down with? Thanks.
    -Jaime

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

How old r they...?? I thought 2 of mine were in the early stages of angel wing at around 5-6 wks, I even posted
    some pics on here and others thought so tooo.. I was still using 20% feed and did switch to Purina Duck 15%.
    I went and bought wrap and my husband was like , just wait alittle longer. within a week one of the ducklings
    feathers grew in and over what we all thought was angel wing and a few days later the other ones feathers grew
    and Both are fine.. NO WRAP !! do u have a pic.... ?? depending on age I would maybe wait on the angel wing one..
    Im glad I did... a pic would help if I could see it

3. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think they are about 6 weeks old. I don't have pics now, but could get some tomorrow. The one with angel wing could still be a little early but I would rather treat instead of waiting since its imperative to catch it while the blood feathers are still present. The silky duck definitely has drop wing. Is that the same method of treatment? These guys have been on duck grower for almost 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by