"slipped wing" ?

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Reading an older book on breeding chickens, and it makes recurring reference to the fault "slipped wing" which I gather means more or less that the wing is carried so that it sags downward, slightly opened, rather than being tucked up neatly against the upper side of the body.

a) am I understanding the meaning right, there?

and

b) are there any PRACTICAL issues involved here, or is it purely aesthetics? Like, does it physically disadvantage the chicken in any way, or is it correlated with weak or unthrifty or sickly birds, or anything like that? I am not looking for theory so much as for *experience* here.

Pat, not interested in breeding for looks but very definitely wanting to select for health/vigor as well as utility qualities, and not always sure which is which
tongue.png

You might find more info looking for the term "angel wing". I believe there was a post on this forum and a google search using that term brings up some sites about it and possible causes. I didn't see anywhere that it listed problems that could result from it but one of the most commonly mentioned causes was diet. It could be a sign of improper feeding.

Oh! Thank you very much, I did not know the two were synonymous. And upon searching/googling on 'angel wing', bingo <lightbulb>, it seems it can be caused by excessive protein. Hey, I ended up feeding 20% starter to these chicks all the way through week 10-11 (I really DO know better than to believe feedstore employees, but, you know
tongue.png
) So that may well be the cause. Live and learn I guess.

The good thing is, that means it's unlikely to be passed onto future generations.

It's mostly just the one rooster, and it's just that his wings are a little bit droopy, not twisted outwards or anything like that. Doesn't seem to interfere with his life any.

Thanks!,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom