Slippery Elm

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CluckyJay, Jan 9, 2012.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I just made a huge pot of slippery elm to feed the livestock. Does anyone use this a food for their animals? I have the trees on my land so I can harvest as much as I need. Right now am mixing it in with their oats. The last time I did this it really seemed it helped my goats and chickens out. They weren't sick or anything, but it really pepped them up!

The one tree I am working on fell over our fence and I am harvesting the excess limbs, not the inner trunk bark. They gobbled it up.

2. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I have not heard of this, but I am very intrigued! Tell us more! [​IMG]

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I know it is very soothing for the throat and digestive tract. Lucky you to have the trees!

4. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yeah, feel pretty lucky! I am going to take cuttings and make a hedgerow out of the elm and other trees. I can't wait to see what people post about this.

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I just took a bath in the leftover slipper elm water. It is very moisturizing and so far my fine, long hair looks/feels great. I am thinking about using it to bathe my chickens in during mite/lice treatment. The neem can be a bit drying and I think this will help to moisturize their skin/feathers. Hmmmm. Smells really nutty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by