Slippery Slope Perrysburg OHIO

jhoff310

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
toledo ohio area
I know of several homes in town who have chickens. Some are in the lower income parts some town, some are in the "upper crust" parts of town. The city administration knows of a few as well. I recently spoke with our animal control officer before I took the chicken plunge, he told me " read the codified ord. its somewhat open ended." He also informed me that he is not in charge of "controlling "chickens, he deals with dogs, cats and wild 4 legged animals.
So I looked at the codified ord. and ventured over to the zoning office. I spoke with the 2 zoning inspectors (great now I let the cat out of the bag). They both firmly told me NO!!! I inquired about the ord (I didnt give them the ord. #, if they want it they can find it)and they said they were not aware of any ord. permitting chickens. They were working on a plan to crack down on the "chicken problem" in the city.

here is how the ordinance reads pertaining to chickens and "restricted birds"....

(6) All bird species which have not been commonly bred in captivity and kept as a pet or for food production, including but not limited to:

A. Raptors or birds-of-prey, including but not limited to eagles, hawks, owls, falcons, and vultures;

B. Game cocks and other fighting birds; and

C. Cassowaries and all other birds related to ostriches.

D. Unless considered protected or endangered by the United States Department of Interior or the Ohio Revised Code, canaries, finches, mynah birds, parrots, parakeets, cockatiels, game birds, doves, and waterfowl shall not be considered restricted species.
I plan on printing out the ord. and posting a copy of it in my coop just in case...

We would like to get a goat or 2 in the future....heres the ord for that

K. All non-domesticated ungulates, including but not limited to elephants, zebras, tapirs, rhinoceroses, antelopes, deer, giraffes, hippopotamus, wild pigs, warthogs, cape buffalos, water buffalos, yaks, camels, caribou, bison, and reindeers; except that this provision shall not apply to domesticated horses, donkeys, mules, burros, pot-bellied pigs, domesticated pigs, cattle, sheep, goats, llamas, and alpacas;

What are your thoughts???

Jeff

Last edited:
Just to be clear.... is the section you provided part of the definitions section that defines which birds *cannot* be kept? If this is the case, the definition you provided implies birds that HAVE been commonly raised in captivity and ARE kept as a pet of for food production are not part of the restriction.

The preamble/intro to the section you provided would help to clarify.

Hello,
Did you ever get any clarification on the Perrysburg chicken ordinance? We currently live within Toledo city limits but are moving to Perrysburg in the next few months. We have 4 laying hens and I want to take them with us. I would love to hear what you have learned.

In response to your post, I have just scheduled a meeting with the mayor to discuss allowing chickens in Perrysburg. I'll let you know soon!!

Back
Top Bottom