Slippery walk to the Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cherylcohen, Nov 8, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Hope some experienced farmers have some solutions for me....

The walk down to the coop is over some slippery wood steps. (not an option to replace at this point) We put down anti-slip tape but it came loose and I slipped on it! We nailed it down, but still doesn't feel very secure. I bought snow boots (not needed in N. CA) and still they don't seem very secure. I broke my ankle 3 years ago slipping on one of these steps and now I have to go down them every morning while they are still moist to let my girls out.

I've heard about gritty paint but the hardware store didin't think it really worked. Has any done something that works?

2. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    What about using some old carpet or old rugs stapled to them?

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Years ago I had a front porch with really slippery steps and floor. We mixed sand in with the porch paint and it helped a little. I'm wondering if mixing in a coarser grit, like what we feed to the birds, would work better than the sand. [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Okay...I'm not a farmer, I'm just in "What if my mom was dealing with slippery outdoor steps" mode. An idea that popped into my head (and it would not look good) was that indoor/outdoor grassing looking carpet stuff. Seems to me rectangles of that could be nailed/stapled onto each step. Really, almost any rough textured outdoor carpet pieces could....I'll keep thinking, and hopefully others will chime in with ideas. I like the thought of the rough textured outdoor paint, but don't know much about it...

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:DH vetoed that idea because the carpet can get wet, hold water & then freeze... my grandma took a spill on that stuff [​IMG]

I'm going to apply a thick adhesive glue with a paintbrush, then POUR construction sand over the top of it.. pack it down and let it dry.. then sweep off the excess... I don't know if it'll work any better than the rest, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary

6. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    You have a few options they make a non skid paint that you can buy for steps,porches and such you have to prep the area your going to paint and it will stay been there done that. 2nd option is the step strips about 10" wide by 3foot long they have sticky back to them and plus you can nail them down. Now for the 3rd cheapest option go buy a bundle of shigles and box of nails nail the shingles to the steps just like the step strips hope this helps and be safe

7. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I've tried everything so far except the carpet patches and during a freeze it too would be slippery

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

OK Still too early here to think straight. But I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee, so here goes. I've seen the gritty paint before and I kinda think it's a waste.

How about those non-skid rubber mats, either bought or cut to size and fastened to the steps. or those asphalt roofing shingles.

Imp-Last year in our rare icy Seattle winter, I fell more than once on the three steps down off my deck. Didn't get hurt, but had to rush back inside to change clothes. (I don't know why, but work frowns on that caked on chicken poop look.)

9. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm dealing with a slippery slope too. Our back patio doesn't have steps, it has a ramp. We don't know why the original homeowner built it, but we've left it because our granddaughter is in a wheel chair. Our back yard is very shaded and therefore mossy. Moss and algae seem to be growing on that stupid ramp and it is horrible when dew or rain are on it. We just keep power washing it off every so often for now. We never really paid much attention to it until we got our chickens a little over a month ago and I've fallen down the ramp several times recently.
    Our plan is to paint it with some gritty paint the next time we have a dry spell, but I will continue to follow this thread for a better idea.

10. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Stair railing!!!!!!!!!!!! hold on!!!!!!!
    I don't think construction sand will be coarse enough, but heck, give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by