Sloppy Poo!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hendy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Hendy

Hendy New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    Hi I'm very much a beginner in all this but I have read an awful lot.I received 3 chickens in July, all in very poor condition and one of them has constantly had diarrhea/sloppy poo. At first I thought it was due to the stress of the move but it's never cleared up.I've tried everything I can think of;I've wormed her twice-she did have a bad infestation of worms so I thought this might have settled it, she's had verm-ex, Avipro plus, poultry tonic and keep-well. She's been on live yoghurt daily for weeks and is now having oats with the yoghurt. The diarrhea has lessened in severity & frequency but she still 'explodes' every morning & throughout the day. She seems really well otherwise, is eating well & seems really happy although her comb is small and pale and she hasn't laid for months- she has also been moulting though so I think that's the reason for no eggs. There are no lice or mites on her or in the coop (it's a plastic coop so nowhere for mites to hide). If she seemed sick & lethargic I'd have taken her to the vet by now but she seems really well-she's the biggest & fattest of them all! Please help, all suggestions gratefully received!

2. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    I'm no expert, but i think its all that yoghurt

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    HI - Welcome to BYC!

I think maybe if you put her on regular chicken crumbles her digestive system will straighten itself out. You have certainly given her enough treatments to take care of whatever she might have had, but now she just needs a diet of actual chicken food and she'll probably be fine.

Good luck!

4. pac1712

pac1712 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    feed her some mixed corn and put her on acv she will be fine in a few days. her diets to rich for her she needs less treats and more pol food.

5. Hendy

Hendy New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks for your replies but I forgot to mention her diet; she has been on proper layers mash & pellets since we got her with a small amount of corn & a few mealworms as a bedtime treat. I only started the live yoghurt after recommendation by the breeder because of the diarrhoea, she says it helps to re-balance the gut She only has a dessertspoonful mixed with her mash once a day. She also have acv in her water once a week. The other two chickens are on the exact same diet ( inc.yoghurt) and they're fine,their poos are normal whereas Sybil's poos have never been normal since we got her!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would re-worm with something like fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) or albendazole (Valbazen). I'd also just feed them fresh lay pellets or crumble, nothing else.

-Kathy

7. Hendy

Hendy New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks Kathy (casportpony). Its only 7wks since I wormed her for the second time (which was 3wks after the first time as recommended to break the life cycle) with flubendazole 1%. She passed a lot of worms (some very long) after the first treatment but none after the second so I think we got it sorted however the diarrhea never stopped. Do you still think it's worth doing again? I have some panacur but it's for my cats (22.2% in a 1.8g sachet)so wouldn't know how to calculate the dose.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you wormed with flubendazole I don't think there's any reason to worm with Safeguard, for some reason I thought you use one of those natural wormers. :D

Maybe dawg will chime in here, I think he knows about worming with flubendazole.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by