Slow broilers! should I change their feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by maggiemooscluckers, Sep 24, 2010.

1. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

My slow broilers came from Welp Hatchery and have been very healthy and growing great. I have had them on Flock Raiser since they arrived. The hatchery said that they should be changed over to a chick grower at 5 weeks until butchering. Has anyone else had these slow broilers and can you tell me about your experience in growing them. I don't mind changing food if it is really the thing to do. I also have 9 5 week old hens that are also eating the flock raiser. I really don't want to have to find a place to store two different kinds of feed. Especially when I am assuming that the hens will need layer feed when they start laying. Nothing like have dibs and dabs of extra food. Also, how old were your broilers when you butchered?

2. backyarder717

backyarder717 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I only use the 24% chick starter from start to finish. I also allow feed 24/7 most of the time. They get big quick. No leg problems at all either.

Yes, you would have different feeds, but thats how it goes.

I butcher half at 6 weeks and the others at 8 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  3. maggiemooscluckers

Thanks for your reply. I have never had meaties before. I really don't want to keep them any longer than necessary so I'm sure feeding them properly is most of the battle for a quick butcher date.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I haven't had the ones from that specific hatchery, however I feed mine flock raiser from start to finish with no leg or heart problems. I would say they probably take a week longer than some other peoples but I don't loose any at the end.

5. maggiemooscluckers

Quote:Thanks. I went to the feed store today and decided that the only real difference in the Flock Raiser and the Chick Grower was 2% less protein in the Grower. Don't really know why that would make that much difference. So needless to say I bought more Flock Raiser and will feed that until butchering. How many weeks old were your meaties when you finally butchered and what was the average weight?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    mine were 8 or 9 weeks with carcass weight right around 4 lbs.

7. backyarder717

backyarder717 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    At 9 weeks I think you should have a larger carcass weight than 4 lbs. Are you offering feed 24/7?

This is my first year with meaties but mine have been 6 lbs. + at 8 weeks.

Three batches total.

again, using the 24% and allowing feed 24/7 (12 hour feeding 8th week)

8. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    my welp slow cornish are about 9 weeks and the roo's are hefty, the hens are definately smaller in stature but doin alright. way too lazy in my opinion, thinking about going with kosher kings or FR's next time. but i use whatever feed i have - flockraiser, "start to finish", chick starter, turkey feed. no leg problems at all. some got sick, gave them wazine, sulmet, and electrolytes and theyre up and running again. one still has a persistant tick. like a nervous twitch every few seconds. but they dont seem ILL.

9. maggiemooscluckers

Quote:So glad to get a response from another Welp customer with the exact same meaties. I agree that the roos are bigger than the hens. At their current growth rate, at what age are you thinking you will butcher and have you weighed any of them? I was sure hoping to do the deed at around 10 weeks. Especially for the roos. What are your thoughts?

10. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Quote:So glad to get a response from another Welp customer with the exact same meaties. I agree that the roos are bigger than the hens. At their current growth rate, at what age are you thinking you will butcher and have you weighed any of them? I was sure hoping to do the deed at around 10 weeks. Especially for the roos. What are your thoughts?

well mine are probably around 8 weeks (i said 9 before, but probably closer to 8) now - and i actually dont have a scale - just moved recently and, well to think about it, i havent had a scale in like 3 years... so the move wasnt to blame, haha. anyways - around 8 weeks now. im going to butcher a roo on wednesday. i will for sure let you know how it goes and hopefully take a pic or two. i think the roo's will be about prime in a week or so, the hens maybe 3 weeks or longer. so i'd put the roo's 9-10weeks and the hens maybe 12 weeks. theyre good looking birds though, first time raising the cornish x though. glad i got the "slow" cornish. any more frankenchicken'ish and i dunno how i'd feel about em. had one die out of nowhere about a month or so ago, but thats the only casualty. good luck!

and i wouldnt worry about the food situation - laying hens can eat meat bird food or chick starter all day long - just give them some oyster shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by